The clock tower at Holyhead station, about 1907

The clock tower at Holyhead station, about 1907

Title: The clock tower at Holyhead station, about 1907

Place: Holyhead, Anglesey, Wales

Description: Clock tower at the London & North Western Railway's Holyhead station, about 1907. The clock, made by Joyce of Whitchurch, commemorated the extension of Holyhead harbour, opened by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) on 17th June 1880. Behind the clock are the station buildings and hotel. Signs indicate which platforms trains depart from. Holyhead station was built right alongside the harbour, so that passengers could quickly transfer between trains and the LNWR's Irish Sea ferries.

Our reference: 1997-7409_LMS_998

Collection: Euston photos

Background: BR Warflat