Greenore Hotel, about 1906

Greenore Hotel, about 1906

Title: Greenore Hotel, about 1906

Place: Greenore, Louth, Ireland

Description: The Greenore Hotel and grounds, in County Louth, Ireland, about 1906. This village at the mouth of Carlingford Lough grew up in the 1860s and 1870s, when the railway connecting Newry and Dundalk to the deepwater port of Greenore opened. The Dundalk, Newry & Greenore Railway was owned and operated by the London & North Western Railway, which also provided ferry services across the Irish Sea. The railway closed in 1951, but the port still ships freight and livestock to Britain and Europe.

Our reference: 1997-7409_LMS_616

Collection: Euston photos

Background: BR Warflat