Date posted 23 Jul 2014
The team at Riley & Son (E) Bury Ltd is still working hard on Flying Scotsman's cylinders and the work on all three cylinder blocks including the fitting of the new valve and cylinder liners will be complete in the next few weeks.
Some remediation work on the frames is needed to ensure the finished cylinders can be fitted in the correct location.
Work is also being carried out on the buffer beam castings, the slide bar and motion brackets to make sure everything is correctly aligned.
We still anticipate a return to steam next year for this iconic locomotive, the sole survivor of the A3 class.
1. The middle cylinder prior to liner fitting. The original holes have been filled, ready for drilling new holes in the correct alignment:
2. Middle cylinder block. The mounting holes have been re-drilled and the valve liners have been inserted. This work will be finished in the next few weeks:
3. One of the slide bars has new packing pieces machined, checked against original engineering drawings:
4. New buffer beam components are manufactured from new plate:
5. Cracks on the buffer beam castings have been marked up ready for remedial work:
Date posted 28 Feb 2014
Work is progressing well on the project to bring Flying Scotsman back to steam. Here are some pics taken of the work on the cylinders being undertaken at Riley & Son (E) Ltd, Bury.
Flying Scotsman's central cylinder on the boring machine-it has been rebored to an appropriate diameter ready for the cylinder and valve liners to be fitted:
Here Flying Scotsman's right-hand cylinder is being offered to the iconic locomotive’s frames to check that it is aligned correctly:
In this picture by Ian Riley, Flying Scotsman's left hand cylinder has been cleaned and machined to make sure it is correctly aligned:
Date posted 08 Jan 2014
Since leaving the National Railway Museum the frames of the iconic loco have been visually examined, measured and painted. Here you can see some pictures of the cylinder blocks, the bogie frame and the side plates.
Date posted 01 Jun 2012
Flying Scotsman arrived in York tonight, ready to go on static display at Railfest 2012 - our 9-day gathering of over 50 rail record breakers. Here's the video of it arriving.