Pre-book your group visit and enjoy additional benefits when visiting Locomotion (applies to parties of 15 persons and over):
- We offer a pre-bookable guided tour service. Our knowledgeable Explainers provide a fascinating insight into the history of the railway town of Shildon, and the Collection at Locomotion. A half day tour costs £1.55 per person, subject to a minimum charge of £26.50. It's essential to book your guided tour in advance.
- Your group can enjoy footplate access to an iconic locomotive.
- Your group can enjoy a FREE steam ride at Locomotion if visiting during one of our scheduled steam days.
- FREE hot or cold drink and bacon sandwich for coach drivers (please visit reception during your visit to collect your voucher).
To enjoy these additional benefits it is essential to book in advance.
Hire a steam locomotive and your group can enjoy an exclusive steam ride - packages start from £500, for further information please call 01388 771445.
Download our group booking form. Or contact:
It appears as though your browser is unable to support the display of this map.
Please view location details for NRM Shildon at Google Maps' website.
NRM Shildon, "Locomotion", Shildon, Co Durham, DL4 1PQ
• Daily 10:00 to 16:00 (Winter: now until 1 Apr). Limited opening at western end of site on Mondays and Tuesdays: See map
• Daily 10:00 to 17:00 (Summer: 2 Apr - 1 Oct)
• Closed 24–27 Dec and 1 Jan
Where to stay
For information on a range of accommodation throughout the County, from camping to luxury hotels, visit the official tourism website for County Durham.