What’s on at NRM York
A different class of travel
This summer we're exploring the different ways railway passengers have travelled throughout the years. We're opening up more carriages than ever before, so why not climb aboard and see what you can discover?
- 23 Jul 2014 - 31 Aug 2014
- Suitable for all ages
- Events, Family activities
Explore our fantastic collection of carriages and experience what railway travel was like for different classes of passenger. Carriages open daily but times vary, please check on arrival for opening times.)
- Climb aboard our luxury Pullman Car, Topaz
- Sit in three different classes in our Tri-Composite carriage
- Experience Victorian-style railway travel in our Bodmin and Wadebridge carriage
- Try out standard class in our British Rail carriage
- Explore the kitchen of our third class Dining Car
Read more about accessing our collection.
Find out what else varied between the classes with our object handling sessions.
See, touch and feel real objects from our collection and learn more about how railway travel has changed. Certain dates and times only – please check your daily diary upon arrival.
Use our ticket trail to find out more about our carriages.
Can you match up the tickets to the carriages and fill in the missing information?
Make your own postcard
Create your own seaside postcard inspired by our collection of railway posters, and we’ll send it home for you. Will you have a ‘first class’ or ‘third class’ holiday?
A small charge applies.
Get involved at home with this simple craft activities:
Please note steam rides will not be running during the 2014 Summer holidays (18 July - 31 August).